Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

God Helps, Even At My Breaking Point

Every Christian knows that God will always help. It is one of those things that I was taught in Bible school and tell others when they are facing trials. Do I really believe that it is true? It is easy to say God is helping his people when I am comfortable or when I get what I want. It is also easy to say God has abandoned me when I feel alone, useless, or to the point of burnout. Is God at my side when I feel like I cannot move forward in my work, when things are moving backwards, and I am ready to throw in the towel? It is hard for me to say, but God is helping me even when I am at the breaking point.

Take a look at God and the Israelites. When leading them into the Promise Land, God was with them step by step. In Exodus 23 God begins to tell the Israelites of their guardian angel. God tells them that He will destroy nations and continually bless His nation. Then in verse 29 He puts a time table on the fulfillment of His short term plan. God states the it will take more than a year because He does not want the land to be desolate and the wild animals to kill the Israelites. In verse 30 God puts His plan into simple words, “little by little.” I have no doubt that God could solve all problems in seconds but He knows the supreme benefits of “little by little.” When God tells the people this they have already been through so much and are still waiting for the final victory. What if when I feel burnout God knows that He cannot just give me the victory because of the negative repercussions? What if God actually knows what is best for me? I forget sometimes that God is omniscient and my mind can only understand so much. God has historically and infallibly held to His promises and His help is part of the Christian promise. God is with me through every hard time even when I cannot see the next step on my journey of faith.

Ryan Jarboe (Aim, Italy 09)

1 comment:

  1. Great insight Ryan. I think the thoughts are helpful in ministry no matter your age or years of experience. You are mature beyond your age. However, I am a little bias. :-)
    Dad

    ReplyDelete